Every president since Franklin D. Roosevelt has been honored with a meticulously curated memorial library commemorating the documents of historical value crafted during his time as leader of the free world. Continuing this hallowed tradition, and seeing no need to wait for him to leave office, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah is honoring our current president with The Daily Show Presents: The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library, the first of its kind, showcasing our Commander in Chief’s preferred vessel for communicating with the public, his Twitter feed.
The Library, a satirical cross between a museum and presidential library, kicked off last June in New York City (just around the corner from Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue) before hitting Chicago in October and Clusterfest in San Francisco earlier this month. Now, it’s coming to Southern California. The library will pop up for two consecutive weekends starting Friday, June 8 through June 10 and June 15-17 in a former storefront at 631 N. Robertson Blvd. in West Hollywood. Admission is free.
The Library tells the story of Trump’s presidency entirely through his own tweets, featuring visual installations and a fully interactive, hands-on experience (for hands of all sizes), giving patrons the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to memorialize and celebrate the many “unpresidented” moments of President Trump’s Twitter history. The experience is filled with many “social worthy moments” including:
- The Commander In-Tweet: If there’s one thing Trump is known for, it’s tweeting in response to potentially sensitive situations. At the library’s marquee attraction, attendees will have the chance to do the same by composing a totally necessary tweet upon a golden toilet installed in the Oval Office
- Sad! A Retrospective: A video retrospective will solemnly display a collection of people, places and things that the President has deemed “SAD!”
- Trump vs Trump: Here we document President Trump’s unique ability to hold a variety of different opinions on the same subject.
- Verified Survivors: Listen to a series of testimonials from a collection of verified survivors, as they recount the trauma of being targeted by Trump on Twitter
- Donald J Trump: A Man of Characters: In a short docufilm narrated by Daily Show correspondent Jordan Klepper, the library takes a look at the history of Trump and the 140 character platform he’s revolutionized
The Washington Post called the library a “smash hit”, The Huffington Post deemed it “the most impressive satire of the current administration to date” and The Los Angeles Times said it worked on “both a medic and scholarly level.”
The Daily Show is also publishing The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library in book form, which will be available to the public on Tuesday, July 31. The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Presents: The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library includes an introduction by the late-night show’s host/EP Trevor Noah, and foreward by Pulitzer-Prize-winning historian Jon Meacham. The book, compiled by The Daily Show, includes photography from the Trump Twitter Library’s previous pop-up exhibitions. And there’s a place in the book for readers to add future Trump tweet highlights, what with POTUS making Twitter history every day.