To get psyched up for Sunday's big game, the Pop2Life team reminisced fondly about Super Bowl moments of the 2000s, from the biggest flubs to the most inspiring halftime performance ever. We wonder if there'll be something from 2014 to add to this list...
1. The Aerosmith halftime show featuring Britney Spears, Nsync, Mary J. Blige & Nelly (2001, Ravens vs Giants)
Why? Sara and Emilie break it down: "Because it was perfect and unbeatable and because Nsync." — Sara Stile, Project Manager, Music Initiatives
2. U2's inspired 9/11 tribute halftime performance (2002, Rams vs. Patriots)
3. Oh, Janet (2004, Panthers vs. Patriots)
No Super Bowl list is complete without Nipplegate 2004, aka the 9/16th of a second that introduced the universe to the term "wardrobe malfunction," basically launched YouTube, and caused the NFL to ban MTV from ever participating in a halftime show again. (Oh yeah and there was that $550,000 fine...) Watching the below video of the so-called scandalous incident, it's kind of hard to believe THAT's what everyone got so freaked out about -- and that's what caused the incredible aftermath! (Skip to about the 4:00 mark if you just want to hone in on the, er, point ... but don't blink!)
4. David Tyree's helmet catch in the final minutes of Super Bowl XLII (2008, Giants vs. Patriots)
Dan Severs, Pop2Life's Director of Music Initiatives, explains this awesome move for the unenlightened among us:
And this just happened to be the very first Super Bowl Ethel Miller, our VP of Experiential Marketing + Promotions, ever attended, though she missed the big play because she had to head back to the airport! It was an awesome experience, all the same:
5. Christina Aguilera flubs the lyrics to the National Anthem (2011, Packers vs. Steelers)
But seriously, watch this video - do you even notice her mistake (or is her voice just giving you chills)??
Of course not everyone gives Xtina a pass...
6. MIA's middle finger (2012, Giants vs. Patriots)
7. Last year's halftime blackout electrical malfunction at the Superdome. Oops. (2013, Ravens vs. Niners)
Early in the third quarter of the game, the power went out and put things on hold for half an hour! But, was there a silver lining to this event planning #FAIL? Patrick Jong, Pop2Life Senior Project Manager, has a theory:
Also, of course, it's not possible to talk about last year's Super Bowl without bowing down to Queen Bey's fierce performance. (Was she so hot she blew out the lights? We can only guess...)
What would you add to this list?
Photo courtesy: Pexels